Professor Robin Pierce
Juris Doctor (JD) , University of California, Berkeley (Boalt Hall School of Law) and PhD, Harvard University
Research group links
- Egenis, the Centre for the Study of Life Sciences
- Human Rights and Democracy Forum
- Science, Culture and the Law at Exeter (SCuLE)
Robin L. Pierce is Professor of AI and the Law at the University of Exeter. Her current research focuses on legal, policy, and ethical issues in the translation of AI-driven technologies in health, medicine, and the life sciences. This builds on a longstanding research line that brings together law, policy, and ethics to explore governance strategies for emerging technologies, e.g., genetics, synthetic biology, AI, and neuroscience.
Professor Pierce’s current research follows three main tracks examining regulatory approaches to addressing processes and impacts of technological innovation including -
- regulatory and policy approaches to translation of AI-driven and digital technologies for health and medicine
- regulatory and governance approaches to addressing health inequities
- participatory research
- regulatory and policy approaches to the governance of AI-driven applications in the life sciences
- data governance
At Exeter, she is involved in several transdisciplinary collaborations and is a member of EGENIS, Microbes and Society, and is an affiliate member of the Wellcome Centre – Cultures and Environments for Health.