Postgraduate Module Descriptor
LAWM107: EU Motor Insurance
This module descriptor refers to the 2016/7 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content and order of syllabus coverage may vary, it is envisaged that it will include the following topics:
- The history of the compulsory insurance regime in the UK, from the Road Traffic Act 1930 to the Road Traffic Act 1988.
- The history of the EU scheme for compulsory insurance tracing the development of the scheme through the six Motor Insurance Directives.
- The relationship between the insuring obligation and liability imposed by tort law.
- The scheme for compensating the victims of uninsured and untraced drivers.
- The issues raised where a claim has European cross-border implications as where an overseas motorist causes injury in the UK, where a UK motorist causes injury abroad and where a UK national suffers injury abroad in Europe.
- Third party claims against insurers.
- The approach of the judiciary to European law consistent construction of our national law provision.
- The private and public law remedies for infringements of the European Directives on motor insurance.
- The possible implications of Brexit.
- The likely implications of new automated driving technologies.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||30||Ten lectures/seminars of three hours duration (format depending on class size). If the numbers are relatively small, a variety of different methods will be used, including presentation of papers.|
|Guided independent study||100||Preparation for lectures/seminars. Exactly how this split works will depend upon the numbers.|
|Guided independent study||100||Post-lecture/seminar reading|
|Guided independent study||20||Preparation for formative|
|Guided independent study||50||Preparation for summative|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
Motor Insurers Bureau website