Undergraduate Module Descriptor
LAW3011: Gender, Sexuality and Law
This module descriptor refers to the 2018/9 academic year.
Indicative Reading List
This reading list is indicative - i.e. it provides an idea of texts that may be useful to you on this module, but it is not considered to be a confirmed or compulsory reading list for this module.
- Feminist Legal Theory [in] McCoubrey & White's Textbook on Jurisprudence, James Penner and Emmanuel Melissaris, 2012
- Jones, J. Grear, A. Fenton, R. A. & Stevenson, K. (ed.) Gender, Sexualities and Law. 2011. Oxon: Routledge.
- Jackson, E and Lacey, N. Introducing Feminist Legal Theory in Introduction to Jurisprudence and Legal Theory: Commentary and Materials.
- Finley, L. Reshaping Women’s Silence in Law: The Dilemma of the Gendered Nature of Legal Reasoning. 1989. Notre Dame L. Rev. Vol. 64, No.5, pp. 886-891
- Fineman, M. The Autonomy Myth, 2005.
- Barker, N. Sex and the civil partnership act: the future of (non) conjugality? Feminist Legal Studies. 2006. Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 241-259.
- Fineman, M. A. The Neutered Mother. U. Miami L. Rev. Vol. 46. No. 3, pp. 653-670.
- Fox, M. & Thomson, M. Foreskin Is a Feminist Issue, Australian Feminist Studies, 2009, Vol. 24, No. 60, pp. 195-210.
- Sharpe, A. N. Endless Sex: The Gender Recognition Act 2004 and the Persistence of a Legal Category. Feminist Legal Studies. 2007. Vol. 15, No. 1, pp.57-84.
- Naffine, N. The Body Bag, in Sexing the Subject of Law, 1997
- Nicolson, D (2005) ‘Demography, discrimination and diversity: a new dawn for the British legal profession,’ International Journal of the Legal Profession, Vol. 12, No. 2, pp.201-228.
- V. Bettinson and C. Bishop, “Is the creation of a discrete offence of coercive control necessary to combat domestic violence?” Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly, 2015, 66(2): 179–97.
- C. Bishop, ‘The Limitations of a Legal Response’ in Hilder and Bettinson, Domestic Violence: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Protection, Prevention and Intervention (2016)
- N. Naffine, 1994 “Possession: Erotic Love in the Law of Rape”. Modern Law Review. 57(10) pp. 10-37.
- N. Gooch (2005) “The Feminisation of the Male Rape Victim”, UCL Jurisprudence Review 12 pp. 196-213.
- L. Ellison and V. Munro (2013). “Better the Devil You Know? ‘Real Rape’ Stereotypes and The Relevance of a Previous Relationship in (Mock) Juror Deliberation”, International Journal of Evidence & Proof, Vol. 14 pp. 299-322.