Undergraduate Module Descriptor
LAW3137: Lethal Force, the ECHR and Democracy
This module descriptor refers to the 2019/0 academic year.
Whilst the module’s precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will include the following topics in the order indicated:
1. Introduction to the topic of State killing, deaths in custody and democracy through high-profile case studies and the issues they raise.
2. Introduction to key concepts of democracy and the rule of law.
3. Introduction to key issues and concepts in policing, public order, the use of force, custody, the care of the State, and disappearances
4. Introduction to the ECHR and Article 2 on the Right to Life: origins, drafting, development.
5. In-depth analysis of the ECHR’s substantive and procedural analysis of Article 2 in the above areas: the three exceptions to Article 2 (2.2(a), 2.2(b) and 2.2(c)); planning and control issues; the State’s duty to investigate and public accountability.
6. Critical contextual, social and political perspectives on these areas of State power and human rights law, including media and NGO perspectives.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||22||11 x 2 hour lectures with discussion activities|
|Scheduled Learning & Teaching activities||4.5||3 x 1.5 hour seminars: Individual and group work|
|Guided independent study||57||Individual reading and lecture preparation|
|Guided independent study||20||Workshop Preparation|
|Guided independent study||40||Assessment Preparation|
|Guided independent study||6.5||Formative assessment|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
ECHR case law: http://www.echr.coe.int/