Skip to main content

module

Undergraduate Module Descriptor

LAW3165: Charity Law

This module descriptor refers to the 2020/1 academic year.

How this Module is Assessed

In the tables below, you will see reference to 'ILO's. An ILO is an Intended Learning Outcome - see Aims and Learning Outcomes for details of the ILOs for this module.

Formative Assessment

A formative assessment is designed to give you feedback on your understanding of the module content but it will not count towards your mark for the module.

Form of assessmentSize of the assessment (eg length / duration)ILOs assessedFeedback method
Case comment2,000 words4-9Individual written feedback
Plan for (first) summative essay500 words1, 3-4, 6-9Individual written and/or oral feedback

Summative Assessment

A summative assessment counts towards your mark for the module. The table below tells you what percentage of your mark will come from which type of assessment.

CourseworkWritten examsPractical exams
10000

...and this table provides further details on the summative assessments for this module.

Form of assessment% of creditSize of the assessment (eg length / duration)ILOs assessedFeedback method
Either (i) Essay (40%) and Essay (60%) OR (ii) Essay (100%)100Essay (40%) 2,000 words and essay (60%) 3,000 words OR (ii) 5,000 words1-9Individual written feedback

Re-assessment

Re-assessment takes place when the summative assessment has not been completed by the original deadline, and the student has been allowed to refer or defer it to a later date (this only happens following certain criteria and is always subject to exam board approval). For obvious reasons, re-assessments cannot be the same as the original assessment and so these alternatives are set. In cases where the form of assessment is the same, the content will nevertheless be different.

Original form of assessmentForm of re-assessmentILOs re-assessedTimescale for re-assessment
EssayEssay (for length, see notes below)1-9August/September reassessment period

Re-assessment notes

The student may be assessed in the same form as the intended original assessment.  Overall, the submitted summative assessments must satisfy either (i) or (ii) above, ie either two essays (one up to 2,000 words and worth 40%, the other up to 3,000 words and worth 60%) or one essay (up to 5,000 words and worth 100%).   Due to eBART requirements, if option (i) is chosen, both essays must be submitted at the same time.

A 40% pass mark is required in respect of each essay submitted.  So, for example, if a student submits an essay of 2,000 words, which is given 40% or more, but fails to submit a second essay or submits a second essay which fails to achieve 40%, re-assessment (by referral or deferral as appropriate) will be of a 3,000 word essay.  Likewise, if a student submits an essay of 3,000 words, which is given 40% or more, but fails to submit a second essay or submits a second essay which fails to achieve 40%, re-assessment (by referral or deferral as appropriate) will be of a 2,000 word essay.

If a student submits a single essay of 5,000 words (option (ii)), which fails to achieve 40%, re-assessment (by referral or deferral as appropriate) may be either of a further 5,000 word essay or of two essays (option (i)), one of 2,000 words and one of 3,000 words.