Undergraduate Module Descriptor
LAW1027C: Constitutional Law
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
This module aims to enable you to develop:
- an understanding of the concepts, traditions and principles underpinning the constitution of the UK;
- an understanding of the main recent reforms of the United Kingdom constitution, especially in relation to devolution, the Constitutional Reform Act 2005;
- an understanding of the nature, basis and continuing development of judicial review in the United Kingdom;
- an understanding of the concepts and principles of human rights law as they apply to public and European Law;
- an understanding of the application of European law;
- an ability to analyse the links between public and European law and the exercise of political and judicial power;
- an ability to begin to use, analyse and critique materials and texts; and
- an ability to articulate and discuss issues, as well as construct arguments, relating to public and European law in their social and political context.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. demonstrate sound knowledge of public and European Union law and a range of major concepts, principles and values relevant to their application;|
2. identify and discuss the application of public and European Union law within their social and political context.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||3. select and present in a coherent way, relevant law and legal or theoretical concepts in the construction of an effective argument; |
4. explain and apply legal concepts and their contextual, social and political implications.
|Personal and Key Skills||5. identify, retrieve and efficiently use a range of primary and secondary resources with some guidance;|
6. demonstrate effective and accurate written communication skills in a manner appropriate to the discipline/different contexts;
7. demonstrate the ability to work independently, within a given time frame to construct an effective and persuasive written argument.