Undergraduate Module Descriptor
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
This module aims to provide you with the opportunity to undertake an in-depth independent study of a legal problem or topic of particular interest under supervision. The research project takes the form of library research and is expected to address a research question, and therefore is designed as a platform for you to demonstrate evidence of ability critically to evaluate primary and secondary legal materials and material from other sources as appropriate.
The dissertation aims to provide evidence of your ability to produce in-depth analysis in a clearly structured extended piece of legal writing such as is found in academic legal and socio-legal journals. As such, the module is an excellent platform for students contemplating further study at postgraduate level, but also provides good evidence of an individual’s research skills, innovation, intellect, reliability and self-motivation.
|On successfully completing the programme you will be able to:|
|Module-Specific Skills||1. Identify, define and construct a critical analysis of a discrete research topic in Law;|
2. Identify and define key research questions and hypotheses about the chosen research topic;
3. Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the selected legal issues acquired through independent research and study.
|Discipline-Specific Skills||4. Integrate and assess information from a comprehensive range of relevant legal materials;|
5. Demonstrate detailed knowledge of a range of complex legal issues and their contextual implications, where relevant;
6. Evaluate critically the materials considered and used for the dissertation.
|Personal and Key Skills||7. Plan and undertake tasks efficiently, to reflect critically on the learning process and to make effective use of feedback from the supervision process;|
8. Work independently, to manage time efficiently and meet strict deadlines;
9. Develop and structure an argument over a sustained piece of writing and in an effective manner.