Undergraduate Module Descriptor
LAW3198: Business and Human Rights Law
This module descriptor refers to the 2022/3 academic year.
Whilst the precise content may vary from year to year, it is envisaged that the syllabus will cover all or some of the following topics:
- The origins and evolving nature of the modern corporation.
- The intersection of business practices and human rights protection, with case studies from several sectors, including, for example, the garment industry, pharmaceuticals, and the extractive industries.
- The evolution and shortcomings of accountability under State-centric human rights and the limits of corporate social responsibility.
- The development and implementation of an international legal framework specific to business and human rights, and the role and responsibility of business in upholding international human rights law.
- Judicial and non-judicial remedies.
- Challenges, limitations and future developments in the field.
Learning and Teaching
This table provides an overview of how your hours of study for this module are allocated:
|Scheduled Learning and Teaching Activities||Guided independent study||Placement / study abroad|
...and this table provides a more detailed breakdown of the hours allocated to various study activities:
|Category||Hours of study time||Description|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||11||11 x 1 hour lectures|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||7.5||5 x 1.5 hour seminars|
|Scheduled learning and teaching activities||8||4 x 2 hour workshops|
|Guided independent study||73.5||Preparation for scheduled learning and teaching sessions, including pre-reading and the completion of learning activities|
|Guided independent study||50||Preparation for assessments|
This module has online resources available via ELE (the Exeter Learning Environment).
Web-based and electronic resources:
- ELE – College to provide hyperlink to appropriate pages
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law, Business and Human Rights: www.biicl.org/categories/business-and-human-rights
- Business & Human Rights Resource Centre: www.business-humanrights.org/en
- Institute for Human Rights and Business: www.ihrb.org
- UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Business and Human Rights: www.ohchr.org/en/issues/business/pages/businessindex.aspx
- UN Working Group on Business and Human Rights: www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Business/Pages/WGHRandtransnationalcorporationsandotherbusiness.aspx
- UN Forum on Business and Human Rights: www.ohchr.org/EN/Issues/Business/Forum/Pages/ForumonBusinessandHumanRights.aspx
Other Learning Resources
- International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (adopted 16 December 1966, entered into force 23 March 1976) 999 UNTS 171.
- International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (adopted 16 December 1966, entered into force 3 January 1976) 993 UNTS 3.
- UN Human Rights Council, ‘Report of the Special Representative of the Secretary-General on the issue of human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises, John Ruggie, Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights: Implementing the United Nations “Protect, Respect and Remedy” Framework’ (21 March 2011) UN Doc A/HRC/17/31.
- Legally Binding Instrument to Regulate, in International Human Rights Law, the Activities of Transnational Corporations and other Business Enterprises (Zero Draft Text) (16 August 2018): www.ohchr.org/documents/hrbodies/hrcouncil/wgtranscorp/session3/draftlbi.pdf